Corn

Corn

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

On Friends, and a Long Drive North


I am not originally from this area (midwest/southwest), nor am I from a farming background. So, you can only imagine my hesitation about taking a mid winter trip up north to meet with a group of farmers. My husband assured me that other wives would be there in the same boat and we would get to see a lot of great farmland on the way! Fair enough. I was also more than a little nervous about leaving our three young boys. (One I had never spent a night away from.) They will be in great hands, again was my assurance. So, on a cold day in January, after the millionth goodbye kiss to the boys, we headed north. We were both excited and nervous about what NCGA and DuPont Pioneer had in store for us.

Well, other than the frigid temperatures, from start to finish it was an outstanding program. From the speakers and presenters,  to the tour of DuPont Pioneer, I could not have asked for more.  It amazed me how quickly a group of strangers could co-mingle and interact like we had been friends for years. I believe our common ties to the land were all it took to link us as forever friends. I learned that no matter where you come from, or what land you till, the struggles and the triumphs are the same. I learned to be proud of my education in Agriculture and to be proud of my husband, the farmer.

So, maybe now I will walk a little taller knowing that I have an entire army of friends ready to help me defend our land, and our way of life.

Oh, and the boys were fine. Just very happy to see us when we got home. And we them.

Until next time, God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment