Corn

Corn

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Tobacco Diaries Week 7

Week 7: 

This is possibly week 8, to be honest I have lost track of time a little bit. To say that time flies when you have children is an understatement, it takes on it's own speed that is immeasurable to humans! When I was little, my dad warned me of this extraordinary speed but you can't fully appreciate it until you are actually living it. 

Now back to the tobacco. The very last of the tobacco to be set is being plowed as I type. Below is a picture of the plow that is used. 
It is important for weed control as well as to incorporate dry fertilizer. This is long and tedious work. Many hours are spent in the tractor seat!

I tend to not want to focus on anything negative, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention that some of our tobacco has suffered severe damage from too much rain. This tobacco has scalded and basically has suffocated from the excess moisture. 
This speaks of the volatility of a tobacco plant. It does need water to grow and thrive, but too much can devastate a crop. If the growing conditions are hot and dry, adding a little bit of irrigation is the best way for tobacco to get water. 
This is not a complete loss, however, and we are thankful for what we still have.
Week 7

As the pace of life continues to speed up, I try to remember to take time each day for prayer and reflection. So as not to forget the true purpose of this life! 

God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment