Corn

Corn

Friday, June 20, 2014

The Tobacco Diaries


Week 5: Busy!

The rain has left us, and in its wake, 90+ degree heat. No complaints though, farming is back in session full force. Wheat harvest has begun, which will immediately be followed by planting wheat beans. They are named wheat beans simply because they are planted on the ground that has just been harvested for wheat. This is a great way to utilize the land. Wheat is a cover crop that helps with soil erosion. Just another way that farmers are giving back to the land! 



The tobacco continues to need constant attention and below is a picture of the applicator that was used to fertilize it. Contrary to popular belief, not all tractor's have radios and air conditioners. As you can see this one utilizes nature's air conditioning, which at the moment is not much. Tobacco really likes hot, humid air and, in fact, thrives in this type of environment. 



Week 5

Life is as busy as ever, with my husband gone from dawn 'til dark I continue my household duties with three young children and also become the lunch delivery service and chauffeur from field to field. If nothing else does, the constant running is enough to wear anyone out. Luckily, my brother is able to help drive semis and the grain cart and my mother-in-law always swoops in at just the right time to take the boys to play at her house. My sanity is saved! Thank goodness for family. So, as I bumpity, bump through fields and drive down old dirt roads like the Dukes of Hazzard, because farmers are always in a hurry and you just can't get there fast enough, sometimes I catch myself thinking, "The city sure is nice." But really, I would eventually miss the wide open spaces and the breathtaking views that can only be attributed to God the creator. 

God Bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment